- New Arrivals
- Binoculars & Spotting Scopes
Bird Feeders & Poles
- Best Selling Bird Feeders
- Squirrel Proof Birdfeeders
- Hummingbird Feeders
- Small Bird Selective
- Suet Feeders
- Finch / Nyjer Seed Feeders
- Tube Bird Feeders
- Wire Mesh Bird Feeders
- Hopper & Platform Feeders
- Window Bird Feeders
- Bluebird, Oriole, Jay & Woodpecker Feeders
- Decorative Bird Feeders
- Recycled Material Feeders
- Squirrel Feeders
- Poles & Hangers
- Pest Control
- Anti-Collision Window Decals
- Bird Baths & Bird Houses
- Garden & Gift
- Davis Vantage Vue Weather Stations
- Davis Vantage Pro2 Weather Stations
- Weather Stations
- Tide Clocks
- Sundials & Rain Gauges
- Wind Gauges
- Cape Cod Downeaster
- Conant Custom Brass
- Dingens Barometers
- Kestrel Pocket Weather Meters
Vortex Viper HD 10x42 Binoculars
What excites us about these binoculars can probably be summed up in one phrase....
High Density Glass.
These Made in Japan instruments may very well be the future of mid-priced birding binoculars. Rivaling higher-priced European binoculars, the Extra-Low Dispersion High Density Glass (XD glass) provides increased light transmittance, finer resolution and truer colour than you might ever expect from binoculars in this class.
Something not always found in a mid-priced 10x power binocular.
As expected, they are phase-corrected to reduce chromatic aberration, enhance resolution and contrast.
Vortex refers to their proprietary multi-layer lens coatings as XR and their "tough as nails" rugged design as XP (to go with the XD glass we guess). And yes, while it smells of "roll your eyes" marketing what doesn't these days. The XR lens coatings are good. They provide a very sharp, contrasty image right to the edge of a better than average field of view (see specifications) and the XP design is ergonomic (well balanced with underside thumb indents) and incredibly compact for a full size objective (again, see specifications).
If you haven't handled new binos in recent years and are due for an upgrade please consider the Vortex Viper with XD glass as perhaps one of the best birding binoculars in the $500-$1,000 price range available today.
- Complete waterproof protection keeps dust and water out of the optical system with tight O-ring seals.
- Complete fogproofing of internal lenses presents clear views in spite of sudden temperature changes because of nitrogen purged optics.
- Ribbed rubber armor ensures a solid, comfortable grip even when wearing gloves.
- Metal-reinforced eyecups are tough and durable.
The Vortex Viper HD binoculars have the wonderful solid feel that comes when all parts are machined just right and perfectly fit together. The hard-working chassis of the Viper is extremely lightweight, yet rugged. Even the eyecups are made to endure constant wear with their durable metal foundation. The No Fault Warranty gives peace of mind if any of these wonderfully crafted features should ever fail due to accident or misuse.
The Vortex Viper Binoculars come with:
- Rainguard Tethered objective lens covers
- Deluxe contoured neck strap
- Tight-fitted padded carry case w/belt loop
- Vortex VIP No Fault Warranty
|Eye Relief||16.5 mm|
|Field of View at 1000yds||319 ft|
|Close Focus||5.1 ft|
|Close Focus to Infinity||1 5/8 Revolutions|
|Dimensions||5.8 x 5.3 Inches|
|Warranty||Lifetime No Fault|